Upgrading to BackupAssist v11 requires your licence to have upgrade cover that extends until at least 2nd December 2020.
If your licence’s upgrade cover expired prior to the date above, you will need to renew your upgrade cover using the link above before upgrading.
To upgrade, simply download the latest version and install over the top of your current installation.
What’s new in v11
Cyber Black Box recorder – faster investigations, better remediations
After a cyber hacking incident, investigators rely on forensics to piece together what happened. Unfortunately, SMBs rarely gather and keep such evidence. Cyber Black Box captures vital forensics information in real time and includes them in the backups. Current and historical forensics are now available to investigators.
- Learn more about how to use the Cyber Black Box recorder.
- Take a deep dive into what benefits the Cyber Black Box recorder provides.
- Download the Cyber Black Box datasheet
Password protection for the BackupAssist Console – an extra layer of security
Ensures only authorized users can run the software. Prevents malicious actors from changing backup configuration. Set up a password and password hint. Secure password reset is available via BackupAssist customer service.
- Learn more about the new Password protection feature.
S3-compatible destination for cloud backups – more options, smaller storage costs
Opens up more cloud storage options via public clouds providers like Wasabi and BackBlaze, and private cloud software packages like FreeNAS, MinIO, and Zenko CloudServer. Pick the right option to suit your security requirements, data handling/compliance needs, and budget. Full support for continuing incremental Cloud Backups after copying the container in full from one Cloud Backup destination to another (WebDAV is not supported).
CryptoSafeGuard enhancements – even better security against ransomware
Detection: Improved whitelisting by filename. QuickBooks restore instructions files no longer trigger false positives.
Shielding: BackupAssist configuration and data files are shielded from corruption by ransomware and malicious change by hackers.
Other minor in this version changes include:-
- New look UI design and improved main navigation.
- Audit Log captures high level activities initiated by users of BackupAssist and the major activities of the BackupAssist Service and Executor.
- RecoverAssist environments are safe to build from the local system after applying future untested Windows Updates. Also applies to Bootable Backup Media creation.
- Installation no longer supported on unsupported Windows OS. V11 only installs on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and Windows Server 2012 and later.
- Installation requires Microsoft.Net 4.6.2 and will optionally install that version if required.