18 Jun Changes to ActiveSync licencing for MDaemon Messaging Server
The ActiveSync component of MDaemon was actually originally a one-off development. The aim was to ensure Android and iOS users weren’t left completely in the cold at a time when developer Alt-N Technologies’ focus was Blackberry users following their acquisition by Research In Motion (RIM). At that time RIM only wanted the bare minimum functionality to differentiate the Blackberry experience from the competition.
Since then ActiveSync usage has increased dramatically and as a result, additional development by Alt-N (possible because they’re no longer owned by RIM) has added features such as Security, Policies, Email Synchronisation and Push email notifications, along with support for later ActiveSync protocols.
In the upcoming MDaemon 13.5, support for connecting desktop email clients such as Outlook 2013 and Windows 8 Mail using ActiveSync protocols is being added.
The product has evolved significantly (and will continue to evolve) and as a result a single one off price of approximately £100 plus VAT simply isn’t commercially feasible.
As always our friends over at Alt-N are being very open, honest and fair in describing and implementing the changes – for full details along with answers to some FAQ’s please visit the page on our Web site here.
Some important points for existing customers:-
- Your existing key will continue to give you access to all the ActiveSync features that you currently have access to.
- Your existing key will provide you access to all the new ActiveSync features coming in 13.5 (and any further releases prior to v14’s release).
- When v14 is released, it’s up to you whether you renew your key.
- Your existing key won’t stop working if you choose not to renew it.
- If you don’t renew the key but change your mind in the future, you will still be able to renew it.
- If and when you renew your key, you will be able to choose at what size to renew the key.
So to summarise, all that will change when v14 is released is that you will have the option to start renewing your ActiveSync key to obtain further updates and support. You will not be penalised if you choose not to renew it other than no longer being covered for future developments and support, but you will still retain the option to renew at a later date should you choose to do so.